Info|Services: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Health care insurance plan

Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan (YHCIP) provides coverage for medical services for all Yukon residents. Coverage, eligibility, renewal, temporary absence from Yukon, lost card, and other information.

Please carry your Yukon Health Care Card with you at all times.

You must present it to;

  • the physician and/or
  • hospital

each time you need insured  hospital or physician services.

This shows you are entitled to receive health care services in the Yukon.

The cost of providing these services to Yukoners is met through the general revenues of the territory.

You pay no premiums.


You must register in person.

Insured Health Services office at 204 Lambert Street (4th floor) in Whitehorse to fill in an application and register with Yukon Insured Health.  In rural communities, application forms are available at all Territorial Agents.


Photocopies of a;

  • Canadian birth certificate,
  • Canadian citizenship, or
  • immigration status,
  • plus a secondary piece of ID for all persons listed.

If a person is in Yukon on a work visa, it must be for a minimum of 1 (one) year to be eligible.  A study visa does NOT entitle a person To Yukon health care insurance.

Proof of residency

It is our policy to ask for proof of residency when applying for Yukon health care insurance.  We will accept one or more of the following as proof:

  • Utility bills
  • Plane or bus ticket to the Yukon
  • Pay stubs
  • Bills in your name from Yukon businesses
  • Rental agreement or receipts in your name
  • Letter from your employer


Yukon residents are eligible for the territorially-funded health coverage.

To be eligible you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or have immigration status
  • Make your permanent home in Yukon and
  • Be physically present in Yukon and not absent for more than six months, without a waiver from Insured Health Services.

Appeal Process

Yukon Health Care Insurance provides comprehensive health coverage for necessary health and medical care to eligible Yukon residents. In the event an individual wishes to complain about an act, omission, or other matters related to the administration of Insured Health, Insured Health will act on the application for coverage by:

  • Accepting a formal written request from an individual and/or the individual’s physician. This should include a detailed account of the patient’s history and current situation.
  • Request a review by Yukon’s Medical Advisor.
  • Reviewing and assessing service options used nationally on the subject matter including requesting a review of medical evidence and reports through the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health ;
  • Provide a letter of finding to the individual and/or individual’s physician

If the findings do not support the application request, an individual may appeal to the Director of Insured Health and Hearing Services, in writing, as directed by Section 5 of the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan Act for reconsideration. Please ensure a detailed justification accompanies the appeal.

Insured Services Appeal Process for Declined Health Services

Insured Health and Hearing Services recognizes there are times when Yukon residents will require medical services that are not considered insured.

Insured Health and Hearing Services provides an opportunity for residents to request a review of the uninsured service. The procedure is as follows:

  1. Working in conjunction with their physician, the resident will provide a detailed written letter outlining the issue and the case history. In addition, the resident and physician will ensure any applicable correspondence about the medical condition and the service being requested is included with the request.
  2. The Manager of Registration and Claims will work with Assessors to determine what Yukon case history may be applicable to the request. In addition, the Manager and Assessors will
    1. Consult with Yukon’s Medical Advisor who:
      1. Will confer with Medical Advisors from across Canada to determine if the procedure is insured elsewhere in Canada or if there is new medical evidence to support a decision to insure the service being requested.
      2. May take case to the biannual national meeting of Medical Advisors for deliberation.
    2. Based on the information gathered, the Manager of Registration and Claims will provide the physician and resident with a written response to the request for coverage.
  3. When a service is declined for coverage by the manager of Registration and Claims the resident may appeal by requesting a review of the case by the Director of Insured Health and Hearing Services, as per Section 5 of the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan Act. The Director will review all materials provided and may request that the Medical Advisor perform further jurisdictional analysis and medical research. In addition, the Director may research additional sources of information such as the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH: The Director will provide a decision to the resident and their physician within 30 working days of receipt of the appeal.


Your card will be renewed each year on your birthday.

Changes to information

It is important to inform Insured Health Services of any changes in information on your card.

To report changes such as a change of address, a dependent leaving home, please contact Insured Health Services at 867-667-5209 or 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5209.

Lost Card

If you lose your card, please notify Insured Health Services at 867-667-5209 and a new card will be issued.

New to Yukon

If you are new to the Yukon, or have questions regarding your Yukon Health Care Card please call 867-667-5209 or 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5209 (toll free within Yukon), or stop by the Insured Health Services office at 204 Lambert Street (4th floor) in Whitehorse to fill in an application and register with Yukon Insured Health.

You must register in person.


Information on insured physician and hospital services

more information


The Yukon Health Care Insurance plan provides coverage for medically required hospital and medical services, and certain dental-surgical procedures.

more information

Temporary absence from Yukon

If you will be away from Yukon for three months or more, you must fill out a Temporary Absence form.

more information

Contact info

Health care insurance plan

Phone: 867-667-5209

Toll Free (Yukon, Nunavut and NWT); 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5209

Fax: 867-393-6486

Mailing Address:

Health care insurance plan (H-2)
Health & Social Services, Government of Yukon
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon  Y1A 2C6

Location: 4th Floor, Financial Plaza | 204 Lambert St. | Whitehorse, Yukon [map]


Leave this empty: