Info|Services: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Social Assistance

Yukon Social Assistance is a program that provides financial assistance to people who do not have enough money to live on. This program is to be used only as a last resort after all other possible sources of income have been explored.

If you received Social Assistance from the Yukon government between 2008 and 2016, and were also in receipt of the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS), you may be eligible for a refund based on income deductions at the time.

Please contact the Income Support Unit, 867-667-5674, Whitehorse, Yukon for more information.
Note, this is only for Yukon government social assistance recipients.

When you cannot meet your basic living expenses, and you have tried all other possible sources, then you may be eligible for Social Assistance.

If you are eligible for income assistance from any other Government, Agency or Program you are required to access that source first before coming to the Yukon Government’s income assistance program.

How to apply for social assistance

You must have an appointment to apply for Social Assistance. 

To make an appointment visit the Social Assistance office in your area. The offices are open Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

Whitehorse Office open Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm.

When you go to the Social Assistance office to make an appointment, you will be given an a few intake forms to fill out and bring back with you at your appointment.

It is important to provide ALL information required on these forms.

You may have to wait a day or two for an appointment.

If you have an emergency, tell someone at the office and you will be seen as quickly as possible.

If you are eligible, you may quickly receive help for groceries/meals and shelter, if you do not have a place to live.

Frequently Asked Questions

1 How can I get housing? How can I get housing on the weekend?

Applicants are responsible for finding their own shelter/housing. A shelter allowance is provided to cover expenses. The amount varies depending on family size and what community you live in. The actual costs of utilities are also covered, up to a maximum depending on family size and time of year. Emergency shelter is available in Whitehorse through the Salvation Army shelter evenings and weekends.

2 Do I need to look for work?

Applicants over 65 years of age, or who have a child under six years or a child with a serious disability, are exempt from seeking employment. Also exempt are applicants who meet a screening criteria set in the Regulations. All others must actively look for work.

3 How much can I work?

All applicants receive a general income deduction of $100 per month for a single person and $150 per month for families. This is applited to income from anywhere (gift, working, pension). If you are working, you are eligible for the Earned Income Deduction of 50%. Please ask your Case Manager for more information or read our income deductions brochure.

4 Can I volunteer?

Volunteer work is encouraged but is not a substitute for paid employment. Applicants who are employable must seek paid work.

5 How do I get assistance with training and employment?

The department encourages short-term training that leads directly to employment. Any training of less than one year that will enhance your employability is usually supported. The department can provide assistance with obtaining training and finding employment. Your Case Manager and the Employment and Training Services unit can talk to you about what type of training or employment would work for you, and help you make the first steps to sign up for a course or enter the workforce. For more information please read our employment and training services brochure.

6 If I am not working, can I apply for a daycare subsidy?

Some provision is made for individuals who are looking for employment or where there are medical or mental health issues.

7 Do I have to provide you with the name of the other parent of my child(ren) if I am afraid of violence on their part?

All custodial parents who are receiving Social Assistance benefits for children must have an agreement dealing with assets and maintenance or an order than is enforceable by law. In order to initiate this process, all applicants must complete a maintenance questionnaire providing information about the other parent of their children. Consideration is given to potential threats to health and safety but information must be verified in some way.

8 Is child support (maintenance) considered income? Does it affect the amount of Social Assistance I will get?

Maintenance is considered a financial resource and must be reported. It is then subject to the various income deductions allowed for under the Regulations.

9 Can you help with legal fees?

Legal help is provided to obtain a court order for maintenance and to enforce the order.

10 Where can I get a copy of the Social Assistance Regulations?

You can download a copy, or visit one of our Social Assistance offices.

Head Start Program

The Head Start Program matches participants with training or employment opportunities in the community that are well suited to their goals, skills and interests.

more information


Contact info

Social Assistance

Yukon Regional Services Offices

Box 174, Carcross Y0B 1B0

Carmacks/Klondike Highway
Box 95, Carmacks YOB IC0

Dawson City
Box 339, Dawson City Y0B 1G0

Box 148, Faro Y0B 1K0

Haines Junction (including Destruction Bay,
Burwash Landing, Beaver Creek)

Box 5445, Haines Junction Y0B 1L0

Box 9, Mayo Y0B 1M0

Old Crow (sub-office of Dawson)

Pelly Crossing (sub-office of Carmacks)

Ross River
Box 111, Ross River Y0B 1S0

Box 69, Teslin Y0A 1B0

Watson Lake
Box 305, Watson Lake Y0A 1C0

3168 3rd Avenue, Whitehorse Y1A 1G3

Toll Free (Yukon, Nunavut and NWT);


Leave this empty: