Information on opioid and substitution therapy, standards of practice, and opioid and pain resources.
Opioid and Substitution Therapy
Guideline for opioid therapy and chronic non-cancer pain (May 2017) These guidelines were developed by a team at McMaster University. They recommend optimizing nonopioid pharmacotherapy and nonpharmacologic therapy for patients with chronic noncancer pain.
Guideline for the Clinic Management of Opioid Use Disorder (June 2017) These guidelines were developed by the BC Centre on Substance Use, and become the guideline for the province of British Columbia after June 5, 2017. They strongly endorse the use of buprenorphine/naloxone as the preferred first-line treatment when opioid agonist therapy is being considered for the treatment of opioid use disorder and when contraindications have been ruled out.
Standards of practice
These standards from the Yukon Medical Council are the minimum standards of professional behavior and ethical conduct expected of all physicians registered in the Yukon.
- YMC Standards of Practice for Methadone
- YMC Safe Prescribing of Drugs with Potential for Misuse/Diversion
|Upcoming – Under the leadership of Dr. Hanley, Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, the Opioid Pain Management Group is developing guidelines for clinical settings across Yukon including the Yukon Hospital Corporation, Alcohol and Drug Services, Corrections, First Nations Health Centres, and clinics.|
RESOURCES – OPIOIDS
- Opioid Evidence Bundle
- Buprenorphine/Naloxone Versus Methadone for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence: A Review of Comparative Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness and Guidelines
(Peer-Reviewed Summary With Critical Appraisal, September 2016)
- Buprenorphine for Chronic Pain: A Review of the Clinical Effectiveness
(Summary With Critical Appraisal, January 2017)
- Crushed Buprenorphine or Buprenorphine-Naloxone for Opioid Dependency: A Review of the Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines
(Summary With Critical Appraisal, July 2016)
American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)
- ASAM - Urine Drug Screening Guidelines
- ASAM - Clinical and patient resources for Urine Drug Screen guidelines, including pocket guide and free webinars
RESOURCES – PAIN
- CADTH Evidence Bundle for pain (updated regularly).
Here you will find evidence on the management of pain – both acute and chronic – arranged under the following categories: pharmacological treatments, physical therapies, and psychological therapies, and multidisciplinary treatments.