Info|Services: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


How to get married in Yukon, How to order a Yukon marriage certificate, Marriage Commissioner

How to get married in Yukon

Marriages are performed in Yukon by Religious Representatives (Clergy), Justices of the Peace or Marriage Commissioners licensed by the Government of Yukon. These individuals are responsible for forwarding completed Registrations to Vital Statistics.


Marriage licenses will be issued by appointment ONLY. Please contact us to book an appointment.

Thank you.


Step 1


Applying for a Marriage Licence

  • The Marriage Act requires that you obtain a Marriage Licence before getting married in Yukon. A licence must be obtained at least 24 hours in advance of the wedding ceremony. The licence does not mean that you are married, but that you may get married any time during the three-month term of the licence. There is a 24-hour waiting period once the license is issued before the marriage can take place.
  • The couple must apply in person to the Marriage Licence Issuer in your community. If this is not possible, check with the Whitehorse Vital Statistics Office at 867-667-5207
  • Information required with identification will include:
    • Full name, including given names
    • Birth date and birth place
    • Marital status
    • Current address
    • Parents names and birth places (optional)
  • A $20.00 must be paid at the time of application.
  • The licence will be issued at the time of application, and is valid for three months from the time of issuance.
  • Marriage Licences are not refundable.

Who can get married?

  • Anyone over 19 years of age is eligible to apply for a marriage licence in Yukon.
  • Anyone under 19 years of age must first obtain the consent of both parents. Your local Marriage Licence Issuer has the required consent forms.
  • No one between the ages of 15 to 19 years can be married without parental consent or a Supreme Court Order.
  • You do not have to be a Yukon resident in order to be married here, but the licence is only valid in this territory.
  • Blood tests are not required under Yukon legislation.
  • If one or both of the intended parties is divorced, proof of divorce must be provided.

Step 2


The Marriage Ceremony

  • In Yukon, couples can choose a religious or civil ceremony. Either type of ceremony must be witnessed by two people.
  • Religious ceremonies are performed by a religious representative of your choice, as long as they are registered with Vital Statistics, Health and Social Services Yukon government.
  • Civil ceremonies are performed by a Marriage Commissioner or Justice of the Peace (JP), who are appointed by Government of Yukon. Contact the Marriage Commissioner or JP directly to make an appointment and arrangements. Lists are available from Whitehorse Vital Statistics.
  • Please check with Vital Statistics or the Marriage Commissioner regarding appropriate fees.

Which name can you use?

  • After marriage, you gain the right to use your spouse's surname. You can choose to continue using your own surname or use a hyphenated name. This does not result in a legal change of name, or in any automatic change to birth records, and you can decide to return to your own surname at any time.

Step 3


Registering the Marriage

  • The religious representative, Marriage Commissioner or JP who performs the wedding ceremony will also help to complete the necessary Marriage Registration Form.
  • This form is then sent by the religious representative, Marriage Commissioner or JP to the Vital Statistics Agency, where the marriage is registered and a legal record is kept.

Proof of marriage

  • At the time of the ceremony, your Religious Representative, Marriage Commissioner or JP will provide you with a certificate of marriage - this interim document is recognized in Yukon to prove that you are married.
  • After the marriage, and following the receipt and registration of the Marriage Registration Form, a permanent marriage certificate can be ordered by both persons from the Vital Statistics Agency.

Marriage Commissioner

Lists of Marriage Commissioners are available at Whitehorse Vital Statistics.

Becoming a Marriage Commissioner

Information is available at Whitehorse Vital Statistics.

Order a marriage certificate

Visit to find instructions on ordering a marriage certificate.


Contact info

Marriage - Vital statistics

Business hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm

Phone: 867-667-5207

Toll Free (Yukon, Nunavut and NWT); 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5207

Fax: 867-393-6486


Mailing Address:

Marriage - Vital statistics (H-2)
Health & Social Services, Government of Yukon
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon  Y1A 2C6

Location: 4th Floor, Financial Plaza | 204 Lambert St. | Whitehorse, Yukon [map]


Leave this empty: