Info|Services: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Early childhood

The Yukon's Early Childhood Branch provides a range of supports for children, and their families to ensure they get the best possible start in life, as well as through their early school years, through a variety of programs.

Early Childhood Educators

Yukon Government Legislative Documentation Requirements

As required under the Child Care Act, to work as an early childhood educator in the Yukon, you will be required to obtain the following documentation prior to working in a licensed child care program.

  • A medical clearance
    from a doctor to ensure that you are in fit medical condition to work with children.
  • A t.b. test
    completed by Public Health to ensure that you do not carry tuberculosis which may be transmitted to children or co-workers.
  • A copy of your immunization records
    to ensure all immunizations are up-to-date. You may be able to attain a copy of your records from Public Health If you have not been immunized in the past 10 years; you will likely be offered a booster shot to bring you up to date.
  • Valid Standard First Aid and C.P.R. Certification
    will be required through St. John’s Ambulance or Red Cross. The course must meet the criteria outlined by the Director of Family and Children’s Services.
  • An R.C.M.P clearance
    must be obtained by completing a Criminal Records Check. Forms are available at Child Care Services. You must complete and submit the form to the local RCMP detachment for processing. There is no charge for the initial criminal record check. If your check requires a finger print search then a fee will be charged to attain and process this search. This procedure is used to screen out any potential child abuse concerns.

Training in Early Childhood Development is essential.

The Regulations outline the degree of training required for employment in a child care centre, school age or family day home program.

All child care providers are required to have a minimum of 60 hours coursework in Early Childhood Development/Education.

To determine if your education meets certification requirements you can submit your transcripts to Child Care Services to determine your level of certification.

If your qualifications meet the criteria you will be issued a certificate of qualification.

The Child Care Professional Guidelines are available at our office.

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)

Hundreds of Yukon children have been affected by prenatal alcohol exposure. The cost, both in lost potential, and financial, is extremely high.

more information

Healthy families

Healthy Families is a voluntary program that provides support to families prenatally or at birth and continues until the child is school age. In partnership with Whitehorse Health Center, Healthy Families has been offered in Whitehorse since 1999.

more information


Related links

Child care providers - Forms, guidelines, and policies for child care providers.

Child care subsidy - The Child Care Subsidy Program assists families who need child care for their children and may not be able to afford the cost of child care.

Choosing child care - Good child care promotes a child’s full development through a happy and safe environment, nutritious food and lots of opportunities for active learning and play with a culturally appropriate program.

Opening a family dayhome - If you are caring for children in your home, you may want to be licensed as a family day home.

Supported Child Care Program - The principal of the supported child care program is to provide additional needed support for children with special needs in child care settings.

Contact info

Early childhood

Phone: 867-667-3745

Toll Free (Yukon, Nunavut and NWT); 1-800-661-0408 ext. 3745

Fax: 867-393-7140

Mailing Address:

Early childhood (H-12)
Health & Social Services, Government of Yukon
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon  Y1A 2C6

Location: 9010 Quartz Road | Whitehorse, Yukon [map]


Leave this empty: