Yukon has adopted a new, standardized, more secure and durable birth certificate. The new certificate’s standardized design and security features make it one of the most secure birth certificates in the world. It provides increased protection against identity theft by discouraging portability and its security features make forgeries much more difficult. The Yukon certificate ensures that same sex parents can be reflected on the certificate. The certificate is available in two separate versions. The short form contains only the individual’s personal information while the long form also contains information on the individual’s parents.
Who may apply
On application, any person furnishing information satisfactory to the registrar and paying the prescribed fee, may, if the registrar is satisfied that it is not to be used for an unlawful or improper purpose, obtain a certificate in the prescribed form, ie:
- The person whose birth is recorded;
- Individuals recorded as parents on the birth record;
- An agent, or any other person, on the written authorization of the person named above;
- Guardian (copy of court recognized legal guardianship must be provided);
- The executor of the person's estate (copy of death certificate must be included with the application).
- Birth Certificate
- size is 13 cm x 18 cm (5"x7"")
- Contains the individuals full name, sex, date of birth, place of birth, registration number, and date of registration
- Available with or without parental information
- Same sex parents can be reflected on the certificate
- Genealogy Information - contact the Whitehorse Vital Statistics Office
Order a Certificate or a Birth Registration
- Apply in person at any Vital Statistics Office or Territorial Agent
- Apply by mailing a completed Application for Certificate form
This application must be submitted to Vital Statistics with the appropriate fee payable by cheque, money order or credit card payable to Government of Yukon.
- Apply by phone (867-667-5207)
Pay by VISA, Mastercard, or American Express